Pages

Sunday 29 September 2013

The situation of the present

Job hunting graduate with "life experience", a "good" degree, "fantastic work ethic" and absolutely bug#*£r all attention from (paying) employees.
 
Sound familiar?

I eat, I read, I go to the swimming pool, I speak to others about their similarly stagnant position.

We are treading water, a generation moving slowly to nowhere with only a few strong (or lucky) swimmers.

Online applications seem futile, does anyone ever get a response? Who reads them? (Perhaps there's a job there...)

Success stories seem to be the people that google a real address, swipe their laptops to the floor and stop living in the ether - force themselves into a building and hold their office of choice at gunpoint until someone gives them an interview. (I imagine that's how it goes, mine's not yet a success story so please allow for some guesswork here).

The internet just seems to me to place a barrier between us and even getting an interview, with so many job sites regurgitating the same jobs to thousands of uninspired readers shooting off their CV "just in case". What's the point? Is there any point? Please, if there is, inspire me....

Some days there is hope in the air of one's childhood bedroom where many seem to have returned, some melt into hours of tapping and typing and grunting and tea and facebook surfing.

A healthy diet consists of three meals of inspirational videos a day: great for the mind but sodding useless for getting any attention from an employer.

These videos make me feel great though. I feel like a better person, I feel like there's more to life than the momentarily scary situation of the present, I feel like something will come up, and that I can achieve anything.
Great, so just...sit back and relax? Life is fine?
No.
So, stop watching videos and get up and out?
Ok.
Where?
Down the street....co-op has Kitkat Chunky's on offer...
fab.
Sit and contemplate how much easier life was at school, in the same small village I have now returned to to stare at inspiring videos all day.


Medicine degree, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment